Mean thoughts fill my head too. You just gotta transform them into sarcasm so you won't come off as mean to people!
|—A Kick in the Right Direction|
Nickel, labeled The Sarcasm Spasm, is a male contestant in Inanimate Insanity who was placed on Team Epic. He returned in Inanimate Insanity II and was a member of The Grand Slams, and once again in Inanimate Insanity Invitational as a member of The Sinkers. He is voiced by Adam Katz.
Renown for his exceptional taste in sarcasm, Nickel is a critical character who is also snarky, churlish and ill-tempered. Nickel's most identifying trope is his trademark sarcasm, which he uses to convert mean thoughts in his head in order not to come off as rude and disrespectful to others. Though this strategy may not always work, Nickel still considers sarcasm as an art, and himself an artist.
As an armless character, Nickel is unable to accomplish feats as easily as others but is usually determined to try his hardest. At the same time, Nickel expresses a large disinterest in competing in many of MePhone4's challenges and is commonly seen with a grumpy expression when competing.
Although Baseball is the leader of The Grand Slams, Nickel occasionally takes over the initiative and gives out orders to others. However, Nickel's sarcasm and wit make him appear shrewd. As a result, he does not typically work well with others, and may instead make rude and opprobrious comments or insults about them, causing drifts in his relationships.
Nickel is close with his armless alliance, consisting of Baseball and Suitcase, and can be seen working together as a trio in most challenges. Nickel is considerably untrusting, however, as he repeatedly attempts to disassociate his alliance with competitors like Cheesy, and most notably, Balloon, who continues to try to redeem himself. However, Nickel's abrasive and argumentative attitude against Balloon contrasts deeply with Suitcase's open-heart. Although he appears to be extremely ruthless and doesn't value friendship, Nickel cares about his alliance, as highlighted by Baseball, but has a difficult way of showing it. In "Kick the Bucket", Nickel claims that Balloon was tearing the alliance apart, and wanted to conserve their bond. Much to Nickel's surprise, Suitcase notes that the two rarely even talk to one another, leading to many inner conflicts in the alliance. Despite being quite intolerant, unforgiving, and antipathetic to an extent, Nickel forms a great bond with Baseball, whom he is loyal to.
Upon entering 'Inanimate Insanity Invitational' and being placed on The Sinkers, Nickel once again creates an alliance, this time with Box and, regrettably, Balloon, with whom he still continues to distrust. On the other hand, Nickel begins "listening" to Box and putting his full faith in him and though Nickel does begin to develop a slight friendship with Balloon, they continue to have issues.
Nickel is a round coin-shaped character with two sides - heads and tails. His body, including his rims, is shiny silver. His face appears on the heads side, and his legs are at the bottom.
Official Site Bio
Nickel is known for having a sarcastic attitude. He appears to be a bit of a narcissist, as he feels confident in completing many challenges himself. Though being armless, he is still able to do many activities such as tree-climbing, jumping and golf-ball stacking.
|—Inanimate Insanity Site, 2013|
Don’t let Nickel’s small stature or value fool you – this coin is rough around the edges! Nickel’s sarcastic attitude, frequent pessimism, and witty zingers make him a polarizing character in the game. He is generally quite blunt and is never afraid to speak his mind, which can rub the more sensitive contestants the wrong way. Despite his gruff exterior, Nickel is very loyal and wants nothing more than to assist his friends and alliances in winning. If he refuses to dial his attitude back, it may just cost him 20 million times his own value!
|—Inanimate Insanity Site, 2018|
- Main article: Lurne Hao Too Cspel
Due to many voters misspelling Nickel's name as "Nickle", the votes were not counted for "The Stacker", causing Lightbulb to be eliminated. After many fans raged on Lightbulb's elimination, resulted in the votes for "Nickel" being re-counted, eliminating Nickel, and bringing back Lightbulb, this also started the character Nick-Le, whose only quote so far is, "I'm highly offended!!"
|5||116 votes (Eliminated)|
|10||56 votes (to rejoin)|
|Season 2 Episode||Votes|
|11||1 vote (Eliminated)|
|Season 3 Episode||Votes|
- Nickel is known to be the first of many things.
- Nickel is the only contestant to be eliminated an episode late, due to miscounted votes.
- An infamous running gag with Nickel is that many viewers misspell his name as "Nickle", spawning the creation of the character Nick Le.
- For one frame in "Cooking For The Grater Good", his name was misspelled as Nickle right when the names just showed up.
- Nickel has been eliminated with the least amount of votes with 1 vote in "Kick the Bucket", even less than Paper's first elimination in "A Lemony Lesson".
- This is also even fewer votes than the number of votes it took to eliminate Tennis Ball in BFDI, with only two votes. This puts Nickel as the holder of the least votes that resulted in elimination to ever occur within an object show, outside of disqualifications.
- Oddly enough, Nickel has also been safe from elimination with the highest amount of votes, with a ludicrous 1,731 votes from Theft and Battery.
- He is the highest-ranking armless contestant in season 1, and the lowest ranking armless contestant in season 2.
- Nickel is one of the only 2 contestants from both season 1 and season 2 that never made it to the merge, the other being Balloon.
- His voice is slightly pitched up.
- A different Nickel appears as a contestant in BFDIA, BFB and TPOT.
- He retains Adam Katz as his voice actor.
- Taylor Grodin claims in a Tumblr post that Inanimate Insanity and the BFDI series take place in separate universes, and therefore the Nickels in each show (while they look identical) are in fact separate characters, working similarly to the different races of Gems from Steven Universe.
- Nickel has been eliminated back-to-back with Balloon in both Inanimate Insanity (Season) and Inanimate Insanity II.
- In the Fan's Fantastic Features episode "Nickel For Your Thoughts", it's revealed that Nickel's favorite color is Green.
- In the Inanimate Insanity Short "Waffling About", it's revealed that when he is given Experiment 626, he splits into two nickels.
- Nickel, along with Tissues and Trophy, are the only season 2 contestants to not appear in a season 2 thumbnail.
- Nickel is also the only season 1 contestant to not appear in a season 1 thumbnail.
Click here to view the gallery.
|The Grand Slams|